Saint Anne’s Chapel
Saint Anne’s Chapel forms part of the mining village of Hütten and hosts one of Europe’s five remaining mining altars. The altarpiece depicts heaven with the main patron saints of mining as well as secular scenes of mining.
In 1760, the Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg, Sigismund of Schrattenbach, bought the Klucken and Schwarzleo mines from Jakob Brugger of Bruggheim. From 1769 to 1770 he had a chapel built in honour of Saint Anne, the patron saint of miners.
The interior of the single-aisle chapel shows sparing use of stucco and has a two-bay vault and three-fold apse. The Prince-Archbishop’s coat of arms hangs resplendently over the altar.
Sigismund of Schrattenbach used regional artisans to realise the interior and famed mining altar. The altar construction was created by Veit Häusl from Maria Alm, the six angels by Josef Mayr, the two big statues, Bonaventura and Leonardo a Porto Mauritio, by his father, Daniel Mayr, both from Hundsdorf. The altar piece and the stations of the cross were made by Johann Michael Kurz from Saalfelden. Following thorough renovation, St. Anne’s Chapel was consecrated on 2 October 1983.