Nickel coins to be issued in the German Empire in 1875 were made of nickel from Leogang. This 10-Pfennig coin is from 1875.
Gold and silver mining was once the basis for the wealth of the archbishopric of Salzburg. The silver mined in Leogang was of such high quality that the coin master of the mint in Salzburg used it to mint the famous Salzburg silver thaler.
To name but a few coins, there was the so-called “Rubentahler” minted in 1504 under Archbishop Leonhard von Keutschach (1495 – 1519), the Turmtaler of Prince-Bishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (1587 – 1593), a rectangular coin of 1593, and furthermore the medal to mark the consecration of the Salzburg Cathedral in 1628 under the Prince-Bishop Paris Graf Lodron (1619 ¬–1653).
Remark: some of the coins will be presented on our homepage soon.